It seems there are so many distractions when you are trying to eat healthy & achieve the body you desire.
Have you ever done great all week–ate clean, drank your water, got all your workouts in, just to be faced with being at a restaurant and having no clue what to order? It’s been weeks since you’ve had a big greasy burger and fries with pop, so of course that is screaming out to you! And there there’s the pizza that everyone else is ordering! Ugh, what to do!!
Well, if you are on a WBN plan you just text your coach before you go and she will give you suggestions, encouragement and guidance to make the process easy. But, that isn’t always the case, or your plans change.
So, here are some guidelines:
- As always, make up your mind. Before you go, you’ve worked hard all week, are feeling great and seeing results–do you really want to blow all that just because it’s a different day of the week? Mentally preparing yourself is the biggest step to making good choices in the moment. Decide that you are worth eating healthy for. That you deserve to have the body you desire and that crappy food does not have the power to stop you from your goals. Baby you’re worth it!
- Plan ahead. Even if you don’t know for sure which restaurant you will be eating at, or what food will be available, decide before you go what you will choose. There are healthier options available almost everywhere, so make a plan of what you will eat before you get there. This is much easier to make the healthy choice then, rather than when you are hungry and smelling greasy fries, then the decision making flies out the door and those raging taste buds take over!
- As always, choose whole real food. You know what food is real and not processed. Steak, grilled chicken, fish, with veggies, salad and or baked potato.
- Skip the sauce/dressings. It’s unbelievable sometimes how the dressing and sauces are so full of chemicals and sugar and can cause an incredible spike in your blood sugar! If you order a salad and it’s smothered in dressing that is full of sugar, chemicals, and a thousand calories…what’s the point?
Get the dressing on the side, a vinaigrette is always best, then dip your fork in it and drizzle on your salad as needed. That way you enjoy the taste without all the crap!
- Drink, Drink, Drink. WATER, I’m talking about drinking your water! Always water, preferably with lemon. Coffee and tea are fine too, just don’t load it up with sugar! Most places have honey, which I really like in my coffee.
- Load up on veggies.
Choose a salad or veggies as your side, or have a salad as your main course, just be sure to have some protein with it, add grilled chicken or steak or shrimp.
- You decide. WBN is all about a lifestyle change. So if you decide that you are having a nice meal and a drink to go with it, if it’s worth it to you, then do it! Do it, and enjoy it fully. Don’t feel guilty or like you’ve failed, food shouldn’t have that power over you. You are in control, if you want something special have it, enjoy it and then get back on track with the next meal.
Here are some of my personal favourites:
(If you have any please comment so we can all know!)
- Boston Pizza: steak and veggies, beef dip with no bun and a salad on the side, any salad with the meat grilled not crispy and a vinaigrette dressing on the side.
- Montanas: Any wrap or burger have it wrapped in lettuce instead of the wrap, salad or veggies for a side.
- Original Joes: Lettuce wraps, yummmm! Just not a first date meal, lol as they can get messy!
- Pita Pit: Any salad loaded up with protein and veggies and a vinaigrette dressing, or none at all.
- Wendys: Taco salad just ask not to get the chips–if they are on your tray it’s easy to eat them if they aren’t you probably won’t miss them.
- Taco Time: Taco salad on a plate with guacamole or salsa instead of dressing.
Most places sell burgers–it’s a fine option, just be sure it’s wrapped in lettuce and have veggies or a salad for your side. So many choices! So don’t stress or blow your plan just because you get to go eat out!
Relax and enjoy! Now, who’s taking me out for dinner!
What’s your favourite healthy meal when dining out? Please share in the comments!